Alliance for Development
Past edition: August 4-6, 2017
Alliance for Development, an initiative created by the Industry Days out of a common purpose with the three bilateral co-development funds existing between France (CNC), Germany (FFA) and Italy (MiBACT), intends to better connect French-, Italian- and German speaking countries, with a strong anchor at the center of Europe: Switzerland.
Alliance for Development’s concrete aim is to encourage early stage co-development and long-term organic cooperation between these countries. 9 projects were chosen among the bilateral co-development funds existing between the Centre national du cinéma et de l’image animée (CNC, France), the Ministero dei beni e delle attività culturali e del turismo (MiBACT, Italy) and the Filmförderungsanstalt (FFA, Germany). Switzerland, as their natural co-producing partner, hosts this new annual rendez-vous supported by the Federal Office of Culture (FOC) in the context of the MEDIA compensatory measures. To encourage a stronger Swiss involvement, considering Switzerland does not share a similar development bilateral fund, 3 Swiss projects looking for German, French and Italian co-producers were selected to join the initiative as special guests.
"Alliance for Development gives the chosen projects an opportunity to match with the professionals attending the Locarno Industry Days, highlighting the best assets of each country involved and together aiming to create a solid market-oriented model.” Nadia Dresti, Deputy Artistic Director and Head of International.
This initiative should not be seen as a co-production platform but rather as an annual meeting point for professionals, allowing them to evaluate their projects during the development phase, meet with regional film commissions and funds, and get to know their neighboring countries and markets better. Despite this 4-country focus, the event will also be open to professionals from other German-, Italian- and French-speaking countries who would be interested in coming on board of those projects as potential partners. Alliance for Development is a crossroads for the film professionals of these linguistic regions, which allows them to test their market potential and to find natural opportunities for early-stage creative and financing partnerships.
The chosen teams (director/producer) will come to the Locarno Industry Days to present and discuss their projects in a tailor-made program designed by Project Manager Lucas Rosant, including individual meetings with potential partners, plenary sessions, panels and discussions, and networking activities.
Selected projects in 2017:
- Chroma by Jean-Laurent Chautems, produced by Xavier Grin (P.S. Productions) – MEDIA Desk Suisse
- Comic Book Souls written by Roberto Gagnor, produced by Torsten Götz (Letterbox Filmproduktion GmbH) – FFA / MiBACT
- Die Macht der Stille by Maurizius Staerkle Drux, produced by Aline Schmid (Beauvoir Films) – MEDIA Desk Suisse
- Gitarrensolo by Micha Lewinsky, produced by HC Vogel and Jessica Sonderegger (Plan B Film GmbH) – MEDIA Desk Suisse
- In absentia by Matteo Bernardini, produced by Daniele Segre and Daniele de Cicco (Redibis Film) – MiBACT / CNC
- La Gatta Straniera written by Lissi Muschol and Merle Vierck, produced by Lissi Muschol (Kabinett Filmproduktion) – FFA / MiBACT
- Le Fou Divin by Nicola Sornaga, produced by Thomas Ordonneau (Shellac Production) – CNC / MiBACT
- Linda veut du poulet by Chiara Malta and Sébastien Laudenbach, produced by Marc Irmer (Dolce Vita Films) – CNC / MiBACT
- L’Amour by Emma Rosa Simon, produced by Eva Kemme (Basis Berlin Filmproduktion) – FFA / CNC
- Mes Parents - Le Rêveur by Gigi Roccati, produced by Pilar Saavedra (Moliwood Films Srl) – MiBACT / CNC
- Moon by Karim Aïnouz, produced by Marie-Pierre Macia and Claire Gadéa (MPM Film) – CNC / FFA